"Voices in the Mist"
Tozai Ginjo Nigori

The aromas practically jump out of the glass: freshly-cut flowers, anise, pear, and a touch of pleasant earthiness. On the palate, it has solid weight and flavors of pear, fresh white rice, a pastis-like licorice flavor, and a clean finish not often found in nigori sake. Makes you want to come back for another sip.

At a Glance
Region
Kura (brewery)
Grade
Type of Rice
Type of Yeast
Alcohol
Seimaibuai (milling rate)
Nihonshu-do (SMV)
Acidity
Amino Acids
Osaka 
Daimon Shuzo 
Ginjo Nigori 
Gohyakumangoku, Nihonbare 
 
14.9% 
60% 
+5
1.1 
 

Osaka

Tasting Cards

Now you can download the PDF tasting card for Tozai Ginjo Nigori! Share it with your friends, or use it when hosting a sake party.

Ginjo Nigori

Nigorizake made from rice polished to 60% of its original weight (seimaibuai of 60% or less). Nigorizake means cloudy sake. The sake is passed through a loose mesh to separate it from the mash. It isn't filtered after that and contains much rice sediment in the bottle. Before serving, the bottle is shaken to mix the sediment and turns the sake white or cloudy.

Kura

A sake brewery. Also known as "sakagura".

Seimaibuai

"SAY-MY-BOO-EYE" The degree to which rice has been polished before brewing. 70% seimaibuai means that 30% of the rice grain (by weight) has been polished away leaving 70% remaining.

Nihonshu-do

Also called "SMV" (Sake Meter Value), nihonshu-do is the specific gravity of a sake which is used as an indication of dryness or sweetness. Positive values are more dry, negative values are more sweet. +3 to +4 is considered neutral. For example, -10 is very sweet and +6 is nicely dry.

Read more common sake terms defined.